Friday, January 29, 2016

News from Camp Buckaroo for January 25th to January 29th


I can't believe that next week we are going to be entering the month of February!  Where is the time going?  The children are growing like crazy as learners and problem-solvers and I'm so proud of each and every one of them.  We welcomed a new student to our class this week and she is already being taken care of by her new friends.  

I will let the captions that the children have dictated to me to speak for our learning and growing this week.

Valentine's Day is fast approaching and in the spirit of friendship and giving the children will be making their own Valentines here at school to give to each other.  This saves you some money:) and, quite honestly, the children treasure the ones handmade and written by their peers much more than the ones from the store.  What I am asking the children to do at home is to make a box to hold their Valentines delivered by their friends.  This is a treasured memory for me as I remember my mom and I covering a box with tin foil and cutting out hearts to glue all over it.  Of course, there was glitter involved too:).  The children can bring in their decorated boxes anytime between now and our celebration in February.

Calling all crafty parents!!  I saw some really cute seats made out of milk crates and piece of wood and fabric.  I have the crates and fabric but do I have anyone that would like to take on this project?  I would be eternally grateful.  

Schedule for Next Week:
Monday - Art
Tuesday - Music
Wednesday - Library (remember book-in-a-bag)
Thursday - P.E.  (remember tennis shoes)
Friday - Art
We have a new student!  Two girls are helping her learn about our school.  She says that she likes her new school and she has made new friends.

It is Daily Five and she is sitting and reading on a new camp chair.  She was reading a book about Betsy Ross.  She made clothes for George Washington.

During Daily Five they are doing Read to Someone.  They are trying to learn to read better.  Reading to someone gives you someone to ask for help if you need it.  Reading to someone is good because someone can read that book to you and when you want to read it you can read the whole book.  

They are doing Writer's Workshop and working on a story about Minecraft attacking mixed up animals that came out of a portal.  This is collaborating and thinking flexibly because they don't know what's going to happen after that page.

We are doing a math experiment.  The math experiment was playing basketball with crates and paper balls.  One person was the basketball star and the other person was the reporter.  The reporter had to mark down the shots and the misses with tally marks.  

We have been working on recording results using tally marks and this was a fun way to learn this skill.

When I'm having those days when I just don't feel like I'm effective enough I turn around and the sweetest face is looking up at me and handing me this!  I'm truly blessed!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment